|Main • Tropes|
Tropes about Sodobane - The Tears of Syrúna (novel) include:
- Dude, She's a Lesbian: Ithyla tries to convince Zuryan to give up on Syrúna, because of their Incompatible Orientation. Zuryan refuses to back down, and Syrúna becomes straight by the end of the story.
- Cure Your Gays: The whole plot is centered around it. The heroine does end up becoming straight by the end.
- Straw Feminist: Ithyla, the Psycho Lesbian antagonist prefers women over men, referring the latter only as pigs.
- Politically-Incorrect Villain: the portrayal of the antagonist is clearly homophobic and arguably misogynist.
- A Man Is Always Eager: the main male protagonist is happy to have sex with his love interest despite the health condition he is in.
- Incompatible Orientation: Played Straight early on, Zuryan being straight male in love with the lesbian Syrúna. Averted later on, as Syrúna invents a potion to turn herself straight, and drinks it.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: despite the possibility to have a relationship with both the protagonist and the antagonist without serious harm, this trope happens and Ithyla is killed. Pretty convenient.
- Rape as Drama: the antagonist Ithyla becomes so desperate that she tries to rape the heroine which proves her true nature.
- Chastity Dagger: Syrúna kills Ithyla with a dagger, by stabbing her in the neck.
- Hysterical Woman: while male characters remain rational through the novel, both female characters easily give in to their emotions.
- Stalker with a Crush: Ithyla's affection towards the main heroine.
- Romantic False Lead: the brief mutual interest between the two female characters.
- Unfortunate Implications: Where to even start? A Psycho Lesbian antagonist who has no qualms about raping the woman she is interested in? Check. The portroyal of males as the rational sex and females as the hysterically emotional sex? Check. The implcation that men are entitled to women? Check. The whole story reeks of silently implied Entitled to Have You.