|Main • Tropes|
Tropes about Beoldwin Mairkel include:
- Alternative Character Interpretation:
- Many see him as a downplayed Evil Chancellor of sorts: he abused his power as a censor to fabricate a glorious and shiny past for himself, he bullied authors into portraying him positively, and he got away with all because the King was his personal friend.
- Some see him as a Good Chancellor of sorts: he censored what both the King and the Church deemed harmful in order to protect the stability of the realm. While it takes a bit of deep thinking to realize this, it does have some truth in it: published books that should not have gotten pbulished can cause rebellion, and rebellions often end up in thousands of innocent people dying.
- Old Shame: From the age of 13 to the age of 18, he was King Bryant's lover. During the infamous Cairbrean Censorship - during which he was the main censor - he had every evidence of this old shame censored out of existence.
- Orwellian Retcon: Beoldwin Mairkel was deeply ashemd of having been King Bryant's lover, so he had all evidence for it censored out of existence. Addition, he fabricated a glorious past for himself.
- Politically Correct History: The ultimate result of the Cairbrean Censorship that was spearheaded by Mairkel. King Bryant - who had multiple lovers, male and female alike - was retconned into a devout king who was loyal to his wife to death. Also, did I mention that he removed all evidence of Bryant being bisexual, retconning him into a straight man?
- But Not Too Bi: He used to be the lover of King Bryant, and - despite being deeply ashamed of it later on - it was apparently consensual, making him bisexual at least. However, after the age of 18, he only had relationships with women. It could be that instead, he was (mostly) straight and his relationship with Bryant was a case of If It's You, It's Okay.
- The Fundamentalist: He was heavily opposed to Naturalist missionaries being let into Etrand, and supproted Cairbré's policy of criminalizing proselytization of Titanists. However, considering the Titanist Church's views on non-hetero sexuality, this could make him Armoured Closet Bi.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With King Cairbré I of Etrand, albeit heavily downplayed. They were close friends, but not THAT close.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: He got away with abusing his power because of the trope above.